What is Contents insurance?

If your business property is robbed or damaged in an insured event, good contents insurance can help to safeguard your income.

Whether you own a shop, a small office or a work-from-home organisation, a good-quality contents policy can cover your property, your premises and even your employees.


What to look for:

  • Some contents insurance for business will include useful extras, such as Employer’s Liability insurance. This covers you if one of your employees is injured at work, and is compulsory for most employers.  Opting for a policy that combines both can help you save time and money for your business.
  • Always check how much your contents insurance covers you for. If you have a lot of stock or expensive equipment, you may need to extend your policy to make sure you are fully covered.
  • When choosing a policy, check to see if you are offered replacement cost coverage or actual cash value. Replacement cost coverage will pay for the cost of replacing the damaged or stolen item. Actual cash value will reimburse you for the current market value of the item. If the item has depreciated, the actual cash value may be lower than when you purchased it.

There are several different types of contents insurance depending on the type of business you own.


Contents Insurance for Retail

Retail contents insurance covers a wide variety of shops, from clothing stores to hairdressers and newsagents.


Contents Insurance for Offices and Surgeries

Whether you run a graphic design firm or a surgery, you can insure the contents of your office space. Some companies offer specialist contents insurance for surgeries that provides tailored cover.


Contents Insurance for Home Business

If you run a business from home your business goods may well not be covered by your home insurance. Speak to your current insurer to see if it is possible to extend your cover, or if you will need a separate policy.


Contents Insurance for Landlords

Landlords can also apply for contents insurance while tenants are in the property.


Top Tips:



  • You might want to insure yourself for theft of goods as well as theft of cash
  • Are you covered for accidental damage?
  • Check to see if your building or premises are covered


Office & Surgery

  • Think about whether you would like to insure the furniture, fixtures and fittings in your office or surgery.


Business from Home

  • An extended home insurance policy may not provide the same level of coverage as business contents insurance



  • Contents insurance is particularly important if your property is furnished
  • Landlords insurance does not cover your tenant’s possessions. It is a good idea to make them aware of this in their contract.
  • Check to see if your garden and outdoor furniture is covered as part of your policy.
Request a callback

* Please note, if you select a Bank Holiday, we will call you on our next working day.
Our operating hours are 9am to 6pm Monday to Friday, excluding bank holidays.

Thanks, we'll be in touch shortly