A guide to landlord insurance – Getting your policy right
Being a landlord means taking responsibility for a property and for the people who live in it. This can be daunting but if you plan your business well it shouldn’t cause you any sleepless nights and ensuring you have the right level of
will give you peace of mind.
- Buildings – Your Landlord cover begins with the buildings insurance, it covers you for any damage to the building from an event like a fire or flood
- Contents – An option if you leave furnishings or kitchen appliances for your tenants is to include contents insurance
- Public Liability – An essential for a Landlord, if a tenant slips on some loose carpet you could be found at fault, this provides cover for the legal costs you could face
- Boiler breakdown cover – For your tenants there’s not much worse than a broken boiler! If you know its insured you know you can fix it fast
- Accommodation cover - To re-house your tenants after a flood or fire. When disaster strikes, that’s when you need your insurance to back you up. If you cant fix it fast you could end up facing an expensive time with the property empty
You can tailor your policy with the following options:
Loss of Rent Cover
– If your property is damaged and has to stay empty for a while this provides cover for the rent you would have earned
- Accidental Damage - You can choose to add this for the building or the contents
- Malicious Damage Cover - A popular add-on that will help you put right any damage that’s been done to your property
- Theft by tenant – If you have left valuable contents in the property this might be suitable
- Subsidence Cover – You should always get a survey of your property so you know if this might be an issue for you.
You can also discuss whether you need to extend your legal cover or include more liability cover. With
NatWest Landlord Insurance
your policy will be specific to you.
A NatWest policy is flexible so you can choose the elements that most suit your circumstances, whether you are a single buy-to-let landlord or if you have multiple properties that you need to insure. Contact our
Landlord Insurance experts
to discuss your needs.