Home business insurance

Home business insurance

Cover if you run a business from home whether it’s cake decorating, flower arranging, or selling on eBay, gardening, tutoring, designing or consulting.

Do your home work

Each year, hundreds of thousands of people start a business of their own and for many, home-based businesses are a popular option.  However, if you’re operating from your spare room, home office or outbuilding, it’s important that you assess whether you have the right cover to protect your business and yourself. 

A standard home insurance policy may not provide sufficient cover for a business.  If you don’t inform your current insurer that you are running a business from your home, it could invalidate any claims you may need to make under your policy. 

Whilst some home insurers may be able to extend your policy to include some business equipment such as computers, it’s important you check that this will provide enough cover to meet your business needs.  Most home insurers will not cover you for any goods, merchandise, stock, fixtures and fittings or equipment that you use for your business (either at home or on the move).

If customers visit your home, or you visit their premises, and you cause them to suffer injury or damage to their property as a result, they could make a claim against you.  Similarly, if a product you design, manufacture or sell, injures a customer or causes damage, you could face legal and compensation costs if you’re found responsible.  If as a business owner you are considered to be personally responsible, you could even face criminal charges if found negligent. 

You will also need to consider insurance if you take on any employees under a contract of service or apprenticeship as you’re legally required to provide cover should they be injured or suffer damage to their belongings whilst under your direction. 

Should the worst happen and your business has to close for even a small period of time, you could lose your reputation and valuable customers and clients.  We can help you decide what cover is right for you – whether you run your business from a laptop, or have a team of staff working from your kitchen, our business insurance specialists could reassure you that your home business is in safe hands.


Here to help

We understand that choosing the right cover may be daunting - you don’t want to pay for cover you don’t need, or leave your business under-insured.

That’s why our specialists listen to what’s important to you - explaining your options clearly and simply - before helping you find just the right cover for the risks you face, at just the right price.

Call our specialist advisers: 0845 835 4445 
Minicom: 0800 051 3030

Lines are open: Mon to Fri 9am to 7pm (excluding public holidays). Calls may be recorded.  Max call charge from a BT landline is 8p plus up to 8p per minute.  Business rates and calls from other networks may vary.

Or request a call back and we'll call you at a time that's convenient to you.


Industry sectors

Please select your industry

Not sure which industry your business fits into?

View all industries

For specific advice,
call 0845 835 4445 minicom 0800 051 3030

  1. Why insure my business?
      • Legal requirement – by law, businesses have to have certain types of insurance.
      • Business contracts – for example, franchisors may expect franchisees to have insurance before starting business.
      • Protection – insurance can reduce the financial impact of accidents or events outside your control.
      • Business continuity – the right protection will offer both you and your customers peace of mind that your business will run as usual should the worst happen.
  2. What basic business insurance cover do I need?
    1. This depends on what your business does. Here are some of the main types of insurances:

      • Employers' Liability Compulsory Insurance (ELCI) – if you have staff, this protects your business if your employees make a claim against you for accident or injury.
      • Motor insurance – if your business uses motor vehicles, you will need at least third-party insurance.
      • Public liability – if you visit customers’ premises this will cover you for accidental damage to their property. It also covers visiting customers, if they’re injured on your premises.
  3. Any other covers I should consider?
    1. We may suggest a range of optional policies:

      • Building and contents – protects your office or business premises and their contents
      • Business interruption/continuity – for lost profits and additional costs if your business is disrupted due to insured incidents such as fire or flood.
      • Legal expenses – for situations such as tax enquiries, employee disputes and tribunals.
      • Professional indemnity insurance – protects against legal liability for losses caused by negligent advice. Certain professions – such as law, accountancy, financial services and some trade bodies or unions will expect you to have this insurance.
      • Other common covers – cover for cash, goods in transit, glass breakages or equipment breakdown.

Available cover

  • Public liability
  • Products liability
  • Buildings
  • Subsidence
  • Accidental damage
  • Contents
  • Glass
  • Money
  • Employers' liability
  • Business interruption
  • Legal expenses
  • Outstanding debit balances
  • Commercial vehicle
  • Professional indemnity